Search This Blog

Monday, January 17, 2011

You Lucky Guys! Some Of The Best Razors We Have Ever Had.

I envy you guys sometimes.  You actually get to keep the really cool razors - I simply find them and get them to the right people.  If you are a serious collector, you have probably noticed that the more striking examples are getting harder to come by.  And since I am constantly looking, you would be correct.  That means that when I am lucky enough to find them, I have to pay more.  This means you have to pay more.  Tough break, but that's the way it is - supply and demand.

The good news is that for those of you who are buying for both love and investment purposes, your foresight is starting to pay dividends.  And there is still a long ways to go.  In my opinion, prices are still low - just not as low as they once were.  Now that much of the best stuff is in collections, you should be on the lookout for excellent examples of the art - even if you have to pay top dollar for them.  The ones that I project will increase the most in value are original early examples.  I happen to have picked up two of these just this past weekend.  What was particularly gratifying was that they were not just plain razors in horn scales - most common in that period.  Both of them are original tortoise shell, but very different.  The first of the two I would place at the end of the 18th century.  It is a Clark & Hall and it was designed as a showpiece.  What do I mean by that? Well it has several features that had nothing to do with the practical utility of the razor, including
  • Fancy washers on both pins
  • Polished tortoise shell scales
  • Mirror finished blade
  • 3 pewter shields 
 These are all features that were not necessary or commonplace and they cost the buyer a good deal more than an average razor would.  To my delight, the blade had retained its original shape and finish - it was not reground  or reshaped as so many of the period were.  It is solid enough to make shave ready and I will have it up for sale once I am done.  As is our tradition, nothing else will be done to this piece of history.  Private purchase inquiries are welcome.

The other razor is also of the fancier variety - having iron pins with fancy washers and also in tortoise shell. This one has no pewter shields and the blade is not mirrored.  It has no manufacturer and it marked "Cast Steel."  It is in excellent condition and I would put it VERY early 19th century - no later than 1815.  Honing this wedge to shave-readiness will likely take a couple of hours, but I look forward to it.

I should have pictures in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment